August 1, 2010

Once upon a Sunday

I go to church now.
It sounds funny to say, because Daddy always decried "tradition" and especially anything that "worldly" Christians or believers would do.  It is a very interesting place, in that it is an old coffee shop.   The format is chairs around tables, a handful of couches, and a couple rows of chairs in the back lined up pew-style.

Mrs. G suggested that I sing with the "worship team" (worship is a lifestyle, not singing....albeit, I use the words because they have become a description rather than a word).  I was unsure, and was pretty sure that I would not be needed.  She pushed me up front and they gladly taught me.  A different lady who recently had a tumor removed from her brain is singing harmony.  She is amazing, and her voice training has stayed with her although she lost some brain memory with the removal of the tumor.  I have only to learn the melody to about 4 songs each week. 

I am also going to be reading through The Message.  I haven;t been enjoying reading "my" Bible, mostly because I have a typical symptom of ex-cult people...hearing other's voices over/inbetween the words of Scripture.  It really ruins scripture for me.  For all of us.
I figured the Message would be different enough that I would not get triggered or anything.  I am reading just a bit a day, like a book, and I am writing down my thoughts and how I feel about what I read.
It is funny, I picked it rather than any other translation just because my dad always spoke of it as the off-scouring of the earth....
I am such a heretic!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm one of those "worldly" people. I tend to giggle a little when I hear that. I mean, I am alive and live in this world, so if not "worldly", what would I be? I certainly wouldn't want to be held captive by fear, prejudice, or someone else's perception of reality. I enjoy living in the world. Albeit, there is much heartache, suffering, and injustice, but there is also so much love.

There is a peace that exists in humanity that I hope you discover. There is friendship and compassion where you least expect it...when you find it, embrace it. Live in the world, discover your dreams, and realize your full potential. My dear, sweet butterfly, live in this world....spread your wings and fly.

Widsith said...

There's nothing like jumping into church with both feet, eh? I need some of that courage as I look around for a new church family! It helps you get to know people right away, like that woman who's on your worship team, which opens to door to more friendship, support, and opportunities to grow. :)

I hadn't thought about reading the Message as a way of silencing those voices you talked about, but it strikes me as a clever idea. Whether you end up agreeing with Peterson's interpretations or not, you can still reflect on God's Word with mental peace and quiet, in a way that gives you room to think and breathe. I really admire your thirst for God, and your authentic pursuit of the Truth. Hang in there! :)

Sarah said...

I'm glad you've found a church to attend, and believers to fellowship with! About a year and a half ago, I finally left my old church; I hadn't realized how spiritually oppressed I'd been until looking back after a few months at my new church and seeing how much God has been growing me. :)
You are in my prayers!
Sarah