May 25, 2010

Musty Old Books

The other day, as we were packing up books the other day, I found a couple that looked worth a reading. SO there I was skimming this book by A.W. Tozer, when I randomly switched chapters and flipped towards the end of the book.

I came upon chapter 9, and read these words:
But, quickly and on the other hand, it must be said that there is absolutely no scriptural authority, neither precept nor biblical example, to allow any husband to behave as a brutal lord, ruling his home with an iron hand...
You can continue through Old Testament history and although it was a bit in the shadows compared with the New Testament, still and nevertheless, there was never and brutal masculine domination in the families with whom God was dealing....
Certainly the Bible picture is plain in denying the husband any right to be a dominating despot delighting in hard-handed dealings with his wife and family....
Peter is advising the husband to use his head and the common sense he has been given: "...giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs of the grace of life." In other words, husband and wife are children of God together, equal heirs of the grace of life.


And later:
Now, Peter makes a very strong comment in this passage for the benefit of husbands. (Chapter 3 verse 7) I suppose there are many Christian husbands whose prayers are not being answered and they can think up lots of reasons. But the fact is that thoughtless husbands are simply big, overbearing clods when it comes to consideration of their wives....
A husband's spiritual problems do not lie in the Kremlin nor in the Vatican but in the heart of the man himself--in his attitude and inability to resist the temptation to grumble, and growl, and dominate! There is no place for that kind of male rulership in any Christian home.


I was intrigued by this 1970's perspective. What do you say?

4 comments:

childofprussia said...

Wow, those are strong words! I'm no theologian, but this certainly resonates with the understanding I've gleaned from Scripture about God's intention for a husband's/father's style of leadership. What do you think about these quotes?

Anonymous said...

I agree with the quotes. I find them refreshing. The 1970's was dominated by militant feminism and a lot of Christian writings reacted by going in the complete opposite direction.

I don't agree with with Tozer's view of sanctification though, so I'd have to see the book before I pass judgement on that.

I-love-my-garden

Anonymous said...

<3<3<3

shadowspring said...

As a child of the 70s, I say, "Right on, man!" ;-)