September 4, 2011

Harry Potter pt. 2

Beginning this I want to be honest and say that one of the biggest reasons I wanted to watch the movie series was a "how close can I get to the line but not cross it" motive.
A facebook friend posted a video from a 'former witch' that had the usual "there is a huge hidden conspiracy in schools and modern culture to take your children" fearmongering I had heard a million times before about everything from Jeans to Rock Music to Barbie Dolls.
I am a QF/Patriarchy daughter who 'ran away' from home at 20.  Ive already been called all sorts of descriptive names and 'rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft' doesnt scare me.  Use a blank threat too many times and I wont believe anything you say or quote.  Also, nearly all the world knows about the book series and the movies are bound to be bigger than Titanic.  I read other books because of their 'classic' status, I wasnt going to stay away from HP just because of a worn out line that says I am going to become a witch.

Next Disclaimer:
The nature of writing is flawed in that interpretations can be taken from it based on the mindset and presuppositions of the readers.  Take the Bible for instance.  How many religions and factions and bad things have come out of man's attempts to make sense of it over the past 2,000 years?
In watching the HP movies, my interpretation of them and the things I see may or may not jump out at others.  They may not even be there at all for some.  However, the things that I am seeing I want to share.  So take everything with a grain of salt.

In the first movie we meet a lonely boy who has been treated like a slave by his aunt and uncle.  His cousin feels obviously superior and they all look down on him.  Strange things happen around him and he isnt quite sure why or how.
And then he finds out that he has been lied to his whole life.  His aunt was jealous of her sister and upset at her life choices and hoped to keep Harry from his destiny.  Needless to say, she and her controlling husband are unsuccessful.
Harry begins to learn about what really happened to his parents and the secrets of his past.  He is allowed to make innocent/childish mistakes and some of his teachers care for him like parents.
In the climax: a battle with his nemesis, we find out that his mother's death created a magic around him so old that it changed the world.  She blocked the killing curse meant for him.
A sacrificial death.

I made this picture my computer background and when I look at it I can see love.

No comments: