September 18, 2011

The Faith of a Child


When I was young I loved this song. At night, there would usually be some kind of instrumental music or tape playing (except as we got older my mom would turn it off because she wanted some silence and time for herself after we were all put to bed).  I would drift off to sleep with some music of this sort playing, every night.

I will be with you
In joy and in pain
Your cry for mercy
Echoes my name
Now and forever
I'll be at hand
For I will be with you
I will be with you
For that's who I am.


To this day it touches me deeply.  I remember looking for this song March of 2010 as I struggled to work out whether I should go with the things I was learning and where my heart was leading me, or whether I should stick to what I was taught.  I have a paper I saved full of hard questions I was asking myself, and on the other side were the few words I could remember from this song.

I will be with you
I'll be on your side
Your prayer for deliverance
Will not be denied
I'll fight the battles
That evil might win
Oh, I will be with you
I will be with you
Till the end of the age.

Today, I found it again by chance.  I listened to it as I got ready for work and I knew that today He would be with me.  Like I was young again, I felt like I had a child's faith.  I had been waiting a week to hear back about a position at work (promotion) I had applied for.  

I will be with you
There's no need to fear
How can they harm you?
When I hold you near
Your life is in my life
Come devil or sword
I will be with you
I will be with you
'Cause I am the LORD.

I was sitting down for a quick break when Manager walked by.  She asked if I was on break and when I said I was we went back to the office and she told me that I was promoted.  I cried.
Like I had said to some friends.  All my life I was told that if I "left the umbrella" I would end up a drug-addicted prostitute.  I would never 'make it' much less be successful or be promoted.
This song is one of my all-time favorite songs.  It is probably one of the main things that keep me holding on to a hope for God.  Not because I want to believe in Him, but because the child inside me has faith that He will always be with her and hold her near.

No comments: