November 12, 2011

You start out talking about Birth Control and end up talking about skirts...?

You said:
"We had to feel that it was OK to control whether or not a life would be allowed to grow inside one's body..."
Yeeaaahhh. It's called sex. What was God thinking when he made it in my control to have sex or not have sex?

You said:
"(True freedom comes from obedience to God. We can never have true freedom apart from Christ no matter how hard we try)"
I agree

However, by equating this with the idea that control is wrong is a red herring, and completely out of the point.

I understand the idea of wearing skirts. And I like skirts. I used to wear them a lot, and when my father began requiring us to wear them whenever we left home, I complied, unfazed, and it was easy.
However, when it became "wear a skirt to the amusement park/rollercoaster because... just BECAUSE..." I saw the stupidity of outward pretending. I tried to reason with him that the MODESt option would be a pair of loose-fitting capris, but he was not interested in modesty, just us girls all wearing skirts.

The skirts movement is about pride. I am not a feminist. I am a female, listen to my skirt swish. I am a LADY!

People know I am different because of the smile on my face, the light and peace in my eyes, and my graciousness in dealing with them. I work as a cashier and pants are my uniform. When frumpy girls in jean skirts walk by and look down on me or feel sorry for me I laugh inside and just wish I had a chance to tell them my life story.
Pants are easy, they don't need to be washed after two wearings, and they cover sensible working shoes that keep my feet after hours and hours of standing.

Don't do things just so you look different.
Don't do things just so you stand out.
And don't use Orwellian duckspeak like submission is freedom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the rules did not seem to make sense and not just that - they seemed to be made to keep us inside a neat little category, a vulnerable one, one which shows that we "need" them to complete us, to think for us, to protect us and to take advantage of us while thinking they are doing us a favor.

Sharon said...

So proud of you!!!!