October 13, 2012

Long overdue, but short

Dear Readers:
(if there are any of you left!!)

I have been silent for a long time.  I will be working on finding my voice again, but I'm not sure what all that will take.  I have been through a lot this year, and this summer especially.  And maybe some of this will come out in the wash, OR I will tell you about it in time....
But for now an update on current events and future plans!!

I am looking for a new/different/better job.  I have been in retail in various ways for two years now with a very messed up company.  I have been applying to about a dozen different retail jobs over the past two months now.  I have received only one response from one company, and that was a letter in the mail saying that my application did not merit me a further interview.
I was encouraged to branch out of retail and look into corporate places for secretary work or some sort of clerical position.  I will be working on that in this next week.
The unemployment rate in Charlotte is a bit higher than the national average and there are too many people willing to work for minimum wage.  I survived a whole year on minimum wage and it was HARD.  Because I have moved around my job a bit, I have gotten to a feasible rate that is high enough over minimum wage that I think no one wants to hire me for that much, especially in retail.  I have been able to save a lot of money and to improve my living state and do things I would not have done otherwise.  (Ie. I dont want to go back to scrounging at minimum wage)

So I am off to try for other kinds of work.

I am finally going to plunge ahead with college.  I have been wanting and wanting and hoping to do it, College and have signed up for an Associates in Business starting in the spring.  I am not sure exactly how many classes I will be able to take, and how much exactly it will cost, but I will do as much as I am able.
I cannot get Financial Aid due to refusal of my parents to lend me their tax information, and I cannot file as an Independent Student for another two years.  I am not desirous of getting into debt, so I wont be taking a bank loan or any kind of student aid or anything like that.
HOWEVER, if you know of any awesome scholarships, or anyone willing to sponsor a determined, but poor, ex-fundie-daughter on her path to higher education and freedom: PLEASE send them to me.
I have plans to take a couple classes and work as much as I can to make ends meet.
I have decided to stay in Charlotte for the time being, at least until I get this degree and/or I get a solid direction on where I'm headed in my life.

I am/have been going to Therapy/Counselling since late June.  It has made a tremendous change and it is significantly helping me in a couple things.  In fact, it is partially his insistence that I go to College that has put the fan to my dimly lit embers of hope.  I WANT to do this and he keeps encouraging me towards it.  Says it will be a much better use of my intellect than the petty drama of Retail Life.

Any questions or things I missed?
I dont know.  That is is for now, I think.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good for you!!!! College will be great. And I do hope you can find scholarships.

Someone told me to look up any community foundations for my area. I searched that website and another one and came up with a few that I *might* qualify for. I also saw a note on one of them that said not to pay money to search for scholarships - that there are enough free lists that list pretty much all available scholarships.

Hope that helps!