September 7, 2010

Joy

I got a taste of joy yesterday afternoon.

I found someone with a car in good condition and I got enough advice to know it was a good deal and all that.  When I was given a course about engines, made to lift the hood, identify the notches on the car frame where the jack goes, learn how to check oil, got my hands dirty and all that (great teacher, BTW, <3) I took off in a familiar direction where I knew there was country, hills, open space, and somewhere I was not totally familiar with.

I got good and lost.  Taking turns, going until I felt like not going, sticking my hand out the window and letting the wind mess up my hair.  It was glorious.
I turned the radio up high, and just let the station that it had been set to play (which happened to be a CCM station.  I never listen to CCM radio).  First, was a rather long song from Ecc. 3.  It could not have been more poignant.  THEN, By Your Side, by Tenth Ave. North came on.  God has such a sense of humor and I realized how much He loves me.  It brought tears to my eyes.  If I could have hugged the sky at that moment I would have.

Then, the radio went back to being annoying and talking and having songs I didn't recognize or like, so I turned it off and sat in silence.  I feel so happy and free and beautiful.
Last night my best friends in the entire world and I went out to sit by the river.  We talked and ate Italian Ice and had fun being together.

These moments are when I do not regret living.

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.

No comments: