November 17, 2010

Hindered

How many fathers/patriarchs/leaders are there out there who pray?

I guess that is a slightly rhetorical question.  All of them pray!  Religion is the framework for their lifestyle and they are "The Head."  They stand before God responsible for the lives, sins, and intercession for their families.


Have you ever wondered, though, if God hears them?
Seriously.
Maybe their prayers bounce off the ceiling and come back echoing on their deaf ears and pompous hearts.  Maybe God sighs, and shakes His head, and wishes He could do something, but refuses to go against the rules He set in place.  He cannot come down blazing and shining and smack sense into them, can He?  He has other people, outside influences, words from people, speeches on the radio.... anything to reach the cold hearts of those who control and abuse and manipulate and indoctrinate as they see fit.

Why am I saying all this?
I remember once, taking notes on an interesting Bible passage:
Husbands, likewise... giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel... that your prayers may not be hindered.

Basically, when a man does not honor his ezer; when he lords his authority over her; when he does not dwell in love; when he does not take time and effort to understand her-- his prayers are hindered.

All his words, supplications, desires, and showy phrases merely hit the ceiling and bounce back.

I wonder if this applies to children as well.
Why does scripture not have any specific father-child or mother-child commands like it does for husband-wife or wife-husband.
When a father does not listen to, dwell with in understanding, and care for his children as weaker vessels, as precious souls to be guarded and shepherded-- are his prayers also hindered?
Or when parents of adult children stifle their gifts, impose their worldview, standards, and restrictions on them, and punish their mind and soul when they disobey?  Does that count?

I mean why not!  It is the job of the parent to give their children the necessary skills to live an abundant life for God's glory?
Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother used to say children do not belong to us, we only borrow them from God for just a little while. I believe it is my responsibility as a parent to provide a safe, loving environment for my children to figure out who they are, what they want to contribute to the world and to realize their full potential. I also want to mention, I think parents should love their children NO MATTER WHAT...unconditionally, and without bounds. So I would agree with your theory that a father's prayer would be hindered if he did not honor his children.

Dana said...

Wow, that piece of the verse about prayers being hindered hasn't ever hit me before. Wow! I haven't thought about this, nor can I remember hearing a sermon or teaching on it either. There is that one verse telling fathers not to embitter their children, but I can't recall whether it has a consequence attached to it. There's also a passage somewhere about how believers in leadership who carry more responsibility will also be held accountable by God differently and will have more to answer for. Maybe in a round-about way this applies to fathers who are 'leaders' of their families and choose to use their power to manipulate and stifle the souls of their children?