October 18, 2010

The life of a cashier: Part II

Today was the worst day at my job ever.  I just got back from a weekend off seeing friends and attending a wedding.  I walked into work today (monday) happy with life and glad to be back and eager to have another day making money.

The CSM pulled me aside and said he had something to tell me.  I sat down and realized he was pretty serious.  He usually jokes around with me and we have fun all day at work, so it was scary.  He told me that a mystery shopper had some through my line and I had done poorly.  So poorly, in fact that I got the lowest score ever.  Front End lost 30 points, and the Store Manager refused to even print it out.
He said it was amazing because he liked me a lot and it was "not the Jen that he hired" reflected in the review.

With a serious warning ringing in my ears, I began work and thought about how to do things better.  I made conversation with EVERYONE about just about anything.  I asked about their favorite products, I asked them about their pets when they bought pet food, and I even said stuff like "nice grapes" when there was nothing else to say.

Yet, as the day wore on I miss-typed a number and charged a lady for escarole instead of peppers.  I priced asparagus as organic when it was conventional, and I forgot coupons that were in my hand.  People kept having to go to Customer Service to fix my mistakes.  I got off work early because I am apparently going to need to work an extra hour later in the week.
I was able to keep a calm face up until I swiped my time card to check out.  Then I cried.  I cried and cried....  For some reason the back was completely empty, so I was not seen.  However, when I went out the side of produce so fewer people would see me, the MOD caught me and asked what was the matter.  In between wiping my eyes I explained a little.  He encouraged me to be more careful with the codes, and told me that he makes mistakes too, and that little things can always be fixed, but I still didn't feel better.  At least he was nice and listened.
He told me to smile, and I told him I was off the clock.  He laughed and let me go.

I drove out to the lake and just sat.  The sunset was pretty, but it only helped so much.  I am still upset and near tears.  Mrs. G said that it was probably not the worst day of my life, and I agreed.  But she also said that life would not always throw me bad curves, and told me stories about her bad days.
She is right.  It isn't all bad.  Being here is the best thing about it right now.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I'll be praying that things go better for you! :)
Sarah

Edith said...

So sorry your day was so difficult. Hope your next work day is better. Being a cashier is a very difficult job - I've done it in the past. Hang in there.