February 22, 2011

Cashier Conversation 1.5

Valentines Day was a fun day to work.  Guys in nice clothing, all fresh and smelling nice bought tons of flowers, chocolate, and wine.  The older couples were the absolutely cutest.  A guy with grey hair buying a big bunch of alstromeria just melts your heart.


*making polite conversation: "Did you find everything you were looking for?"
(Lady in her 40s): "No!  I havent found my million dollars.  I keep looking for it, is it lying around here anywhere?"


So one day I was up early and awake, and I did my hair and tried (which most days I dont) to look more put together.  I was just going about my day minding my own business when this one guy who comes in almost every day to eat lunch came through my line.  He is a nice, middle-aged guy, who makes pleasant conversation and shows us pictures of fun places he has traveled on his phone.  As he came up, he looked at me a little strangely and then said: "You are wearing contacts!!"
I laughed.  It felt so nice that someone would notice and I felt like I belonged. I usually wear glasses, so for him to notice was nice.  We then talked about prescriptions and such until another person came into the line and he left.


This one guy was buying vegetables and I was talking with him about growing them or something, I forget what exact facet of roots and leaves and picking, but he suddenly interrupted me with: "They taught you well!"
I was a bit surprised until I realized that he was talking about the store.
I laughed.  Yes, I know a lot about farming and gardening and herbs.
I didnt say anything too quote worthy, but I remembered again why I was so good for my job and good AT it and etc.


I was on my break on day, when this mother and daughter in jean skirts, sneakers and hair-in-a-bun came over to sit in the cafe and eat lunch together.  Being that food is $8 a pound and those people are rare, I watched them and they amazingly came and sat at the table next to me.  They talked about the food and their family and left soon after they finished eating.  I was amazed.  The only time I ever went out to eat was when something major had to be discussed.  You-know-its-serious-when-mommy-singles-you-out type thing.
But no, it was just a meal out.


This one dad also comes pretty regularly and one day he comes to my line and plops his food down and gives me this really sour look.  I decided to see if anything was the matter and asked.  He said he hadnt eaten all day and was really, really hungry.  I told him he looked sour and he laughed and said that I was really perceptive.  A couple days later he came by with his daughter and asked (based on his face) if I could tell how he was feeling that day.  I guessed and was right again. lol.
I told him that I was actually able to read everyone's mind and had been hiding it for a while now.  He laughed.  Its nice to have good comradery with customers.


Ok, so this is a longer story.

About a month ago this tall black guy comes in late in the evening and is looking for the shopping baskets.  "S" and I were the only ones up front, and he was talking to her, when he stops and stares hard at me and exclaims: "You have such pretty eyes!"
I accept the compliment (what else could I do) and hope he leaves soon.  He then repeats himself and comes closer to where I am... Seeing that Im embarrassed, he moves off and gets a basket and goes off to shop.
When he comes along later to check out, I am busy, so he goes through "S's" lane.  He looks at me the entire time, though, and as he leaves he says "Goodbye, Pretty Eyes!"

Fast forward two weeks, and I am doing something by the door when he and a friend walk in.  I dont remember him at first, but he bursts out "Pretty Eyes!!!!" and it all comes flashing back.  He 'introduces' me to his friend like he had been talking about me.  I go quickly (running almost) back to my register, but he calls out after me something about he'll see me  in a bit.
They walk back and forth through the store, getting smoothies and big bottles of green stuff and wait for my line even though they could have gone in an open one.  (He told his friend that it was so that he could stare at me longer)  He spent the entire time talking to his friend about my eyes, about how nice I was, about how he would really like to give me his number, etc, etc.
I know my face was tomato red by this time, but I mumbled something about not caring for Spirulina smoothies and green juice and being more of a Wheat-germ girl.  He protested at that and claimed to have eaten wheat-germ just that morning and that my eyes were really so pretty, had I just put on makeup?
He asked me outright, then, if I would call him if he gave me his number, and I said that I would ask my boyfriend. (Mrs. G gave me permission to lie to people and say I had a boyfriend if I wanted them to leave me alone, so I took the chance)  He sighed and said that if we ever broke up to just let him know....

No comments: